During the holidays it is easy to overspend on gifts. Having a budget is essential to being financially fit. Here are some tips on saving during the holidays.
1. Make a budget and stick to it. Sometimes it helps to write down your budget. Make a list of people you are buying gifts for this season. Next to their name write down how much money you want to spend. This can help you know right away if you are over your holiday budget. Then stick to the plan. Yes you may pick your gift and then find another perfect gift for your boyfriend or mother, but sometimes you have to let it go. Remember your budget as you are shopping. It may feel a little confining at first. But once the holidays are over you won’t feel guilty for spending too much money.
2. Time is money. When you give a gift you want to make sure it is what your loved one wants. Make sure to collect sizes and color preferences before shopping. It’s easier and quicker to shop when you have everything you need. You don’t have to let everyone know exactly what you are getting them, but be sure you have that information so you don’t buy them the wrong size. Plus you don’t want them to have to return their gift!
3. Keep your receipts. After shopping come home and write down what you have spent. Or put those receipts in a folder. This will also help you stick with the budget you set because you are keeping up with every purchase you make.
4. If you don’t have a coupon, don’t buy it. Sometimes you have to be that person who likes shopping with coupons. There are all sorts of coupons this time of year. You don’t have to just count on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Use sites like RetailMeNot and follow your favorite small businesses on their social media sites. Businesses will often share coupon codes.
5. Use rewards/points programs. Sites like MyPoints, Swagbucks, and more allow you to make purchases with their special internet add-ons. With those points you can buy other gift cards which might make perfect gifts later on. By using these rewards or points programs you can save in the future on purchases by using the points you earned now. I love using rewards systems like these because I can use those points later for myself.
I hope you enjoyed these five ways to save and that you get out there and rack up some savings!